Friday, April 23, 2010

Girl of Our Dreams


You will be hard pressed to find an American fashion magazine with the excitingly fresh simplicity and genuineness of a British magazine like Lula Girl o My Dreams. The content is really what you notice while reading. In an issue of Vogue the editorials get lost in a sea of advertising and layouts are so standard and congested that looking at each page is a lot of work. Lula goes from mostly full page images to interview pages that are clean black on white text blocks. It enables you to get lost in an interview and really take in the text. In other magazines I feel that my eyes are flitting from place to place when I try to read an article which usually leads me to get bored very quickly and move on. With the twice a year release of Lula and its adventure across the sea to end up eventually in a Borders in Chicago, I'm never quite sure when to expect it. Early this week I wondered into Borders before work and found my Lula. Dropped $15.99 on the oh so pretty and sturdy pages and walked out so much happier. I love that this magazine is so shamelessly girly but does not stop at just its cuteness. Lula is witty, smart, playful, strong, artistic, AND adorable. No wonder shes the girl of our dreams.

First I was really excited to learn about a Chicago design team. Christopher Peters and Shane Gabier of Creatures of the Wind design a line that definitely has a Mid-Western sensibility but is in no way boring. Lovely sheers, fabric twists, and subtly shapes draw the eye into the wonderful little details. They also like to incorporate a little bit of craftiness which makes it feel very assessable. I'm dreaming over this pink metallic top from their site.

There were many other images from the issue of Lula that caught my little eye for a variety of whatever reasons. I enjoyed these images from an editorial "Polka Dots and Moonbeams". I really like how each editorial has a fun name and a simple cover page which introduces the images. 

"Upon the My-O-My because You're Sweet and Lovely"

"The Angels Hung Around"

"Stillness is the Move"

"Dawn is Mine but I Will Share It Dancing Til the Break of Day"
And rightly so a Party for Lula's 5th birthday ensued upon the issues last pages. They celebrated with silver heart shaped balloons, books, funny bunny sunnies (Peter Jensen), and pillow fights!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!